Sunday, June 17, 2007

Just Going Out To Streatch My Legs


Ok so it's been a year since i've posted, big deal! Nothing happend I swear. I'd like to do a New Zealend retropspective, but I think a natural statute of limitations on such a thing may be in affect and I may never get around to it. We'll see.


But more importanlty, the present day. I set off from Melbourne just three days ago and it was horribly anti-climactic. I managed to squeeze about four months of preperation into one day and sort of non chalantly headed out on the greatest road trip of my life. At least I think that's the impression I gave my freind Hayden who didn't understand why I wasn't freaking out. Well certainly part of me was, but I left that on the side of the road yesterday...along with a foot peg.


Heidi, Scott and myself got out to breakfast on Saturday morning, and it seemed as though I was being sent off to college or summer camp or something as Heidi pointed out. It wasn't quite awkward but it wasn't comfortable. How many times can you say good luck, write if you find work...or find that you're still alive and have a moment to spare, need to fight off the boredom while broken down. Luckily I am not broken down, merely compeled to say hello. Any way like I was saying it was anticlimactic leaving Melbourne, as Heidi and Scott left their appartment to go into the city as I was changing into my riding gear. Scott was hoping to see me ride off into the horizon and then go about his life, but instead I closed the door to his apartment and he rode into the smog to go to work.


I Didn't get terribly far Saturday; spent a lot of time getting the chain adjusted to the right length and getting used to the bike fully loaded again. I'm massively over loaded too of course, and am triming the fat as we speak,to find a liveable happy medium between manageble and absurd. So many routines to make habit again too, for both safety and to keep time. Gelong and further to Lorne for the night. A pleasant night there with my new tent - broken in straight away with a massive rain shower as I was trying to leave saturday morning. It's filthy now, having spent an evening in a pit of a mudhole caravan park. At least today, monday , along the Great Ocean Road made up for it. Yesterday I was cruising from one rain cloud to the next and frustatrated with a late start, poor mood, and the fact that as I stood up to rest my sore ass my right foot peg dissapeared. There I was gliding along at 55mph , happy as Larry, when a key hunk of metal which I had just replaced the bolts on decides it's time to call it a night. After retreveing it from the road side I put it back on with the original bolts (bent in a prior unplaned stop) I was still carying and I will have to get the mounts re-bored in Adelaide late this week.



I will have picures of the dramatic coastline of Victoria and the great Ocean road soon.Unfortunately my prison cell does not have a USB port to upload photos. My accomidation is the Mt. Gambier Jail (1860-1995) now budget lodge, cell 23...creepy if you're into numerology ... I'll ask the warden about that. I have my own ensuite toilet and sink built into the corner of course, and a continental breakfast. The motorcycle gets to sit in the yard surrounded by 12 ft walls and a razor wire fringe to keep unmentionable parties at bay.

Good night, I'm off to the hole
-Dusty

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home