Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Send Lawyers Guns and Money...Again

Right. So I've allways said that stupidity should be painfull. Or costly, preferably even both. Maybe I should have kept my mouth shut all those times.

Two Fridays ago I finished my last day at work for a six week break to see the rest of the South Island while I could still do so on the bike. I popped into town for a bite to eat and to watch the Supper 14 rugby at the Pig n' Whistle. Well as luck would have it a bunch of the gang was there and even a couple good looking girls from Idaho. Well, we got to talking and playing the who do ya know game and as it happens they went to highschool with John Grossman, CU Buff hockeyplayer you may recall...Good times. After about 6 hours of drinking, as many beers and a shot of Jagermeister, I got dumb D.U.M. dumb. The girls had had enough and I was off to my own devices. Well, as it happens I wasn't much in the mood to keep drinking and apparently not to wait for a cab either. I jumped on the bike.

Knowingly rolling the dice, I was out on the road and doing just fine, until of course I crossed paths with the funny colored prowler of the Queenstown Lakes Dist. Motorway Patrol. As the officer passed, in his white cruiser addorned with huge blue and orange chickelit paint job, my heart skiped a little beat but I wasn't two concerned as his lights didn't come on right away and I wasn't speeding; well I thought I wasn't speeding. Apparently as we encountered one another I was still in the 50kph zone and not the 80kph. Having rounded the bend I continued at my 83kph thinking I had dodged a bullet when low and behold my mirrors lit up with party lights. Stuffed.

The officer went through his usuall routine, asking why the hury and where are you going. I was a little to flustered to make any case for my self even though in retrospect I think I could have bluffed my way out of it and I addmited to comming from the pubs to which he replied "Well I only stopped you for speeding, and you seem quite with it but...blow into this." Deffinately Stuffed.

Back to the station for a definitive test. Two results, lowest score wins. Highest possible score to drive away: 400 mg/l. My lowest. 625mg/l. A high score would be 800 to 1000.

Well there was a lot of thinking about what to do (cut losses and go to Australia? buy my way into a restricted lisence? ) and after going for my first court appearance I appealed for an adjournment to see a lawyer and get three free weeks to tour before sentencing. Having spoken to a couple lawyers now I think I'm going to pay my fines and will get 3 to 6 months with my lisence revoked. So I'll most likely move into town and go to bar work full time, skiing days and bumming rides. A costly lesson, allthough not painful or deadly which at the end of the day is the most important.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home